I have read articles that talk about how to maintain a healthy intimate relationship with your spouse but I have never read an article on how to maintain a healthy intimacy for your home. Since we are in the property management business and rental homes are our priority I thought I would promote intimacy ideas for a healthy homes. Here is Tip #1.
- Safe place– With all the turmoil and stress that sometimes comes when we leave the front door of our homes, when we return it should be the “CALM from the storm.” Our homes should be a place where everyone feels safe. Safe from name calling, belittling, sarcasm, and any form of abuse. It should be a place that those who live there want to come home and actually look forward to it. Here are few questions to ask yourself.
- Does my face light up when those I love most see me come home or come home to me?
- Do I offer compliments or criticism the most?
- When was the last time I did a kind act of service for each individual in my family?
- Do I treat my friends and co-workers better than my family?
If you found yourself answering these questions not like you would hope you would, then guess what?…. Tomorrow is a new day an your probably not alone!! It just takes one day at a time and one person to make a difference so commit today. After all, within the walls of your own home are the most important people in your life.
Here are a few suggestions for you but before you read on you really need to ask yourself…Am I ready?? Can I handle the good results this will bring? Can I really commit no matter what to make a difference in my home? If you said, “Yes” then you are ready to read on.
- Share one compliment a day to each member of your family. SINCERE COMPLIMENTS. They have to know you mean it. Did you know that a compliment could last a lifetime? Really.. think about it. Do you remember when someone gave you a compliment from a long time ago and how that made you feel? Give a compliment that can last a lifetime to those you love the most.
- Tiny acts of service can have HUGE results. The key with service is you have to do it with NO THOUGHT of getting anything in return. If you are doing it for any other reason then purely because you want to do something for that person then your motives will backfire. Simply do kind acts of service and watch the power they have.
- Smile more. A newspaper article published this story. “When you’re smiling the whole world really does smile with you. A British medical journal concludes that happiness is contagious and that you can pass on your good cheer to total strangers. American researchers who tracked more than 4,700 people in Framingham, Mass. as part of a 20-year heart study also found that the transferred happiness is good for up to one year. “ Just think what it can do in our homes. I had a mother once share with me her heart felt story about her son that she was concerned about. He was making choices that weighed heavy on her mind and she worried all the time about him. One day as she was pondering she had the distinct thought to smile every time she greeted him. To force herself to just smile. This boy turned his life around. Years later he said to his mother, “I knew you believed in me and that I could be great because of how you looked at me with a smile.” I think that is worth smiling a little more in our homes.
Stay tuned for more tips on Healthy Home Intimacy.