How to manage pet-friendly rentals
- If you allow pets on your OKC rental property you need to have a pet agreement to ensure you cover yourself against risks associated with pet-friendly rentals. Learn more about what to include in the lease agreement. Learning how to manage pet-friendly rentals in important if you are going to try and be your own property manager.
Insert a “Pet Agreement” in the Lease
- Because having on your property can create risks such as pet-related property damages or pet-induced injuries to your tenants, it is important to create smart pet policies to shield yourself from these risks. Insert in the lease pet rules that all tenants must follow to continue occupying your property. Again, make sure every tenant signs the lease knowing the pet agreement and what is expected of them.
Specify the types of pets allowed
- In the pet agreement, identify clearly the types of pets allowed and indicate any limit to the number of pets allowed. You can specify domesticated animals such as cats, dogs, fish, birds, guinea pig, rabbits and more. As a landlord, you’re entitled to ban dangerous dog breeds that you feel have a propensity for violence.
- Additionally, you should make it clear that you allow only tenants’ pets. This can protect you in case guests bring their pets with them while visiting your tenants or when your tenants decide to care for other people’s pets in your rental property.
Specify the pets you approve
- Make it a mandatory that every tenant gets your approval for any pet they wish to keep in the rental unit. When approving a particular pet seek to determine how long the tenant has had the pet, whether the pet has caused property damage before and if there’s someone who will take care of the pet when the tenant is away.
You should also proceed to put a clause that says your pet approval is conditioned upon continued compliance with the terms of pet agreement by the tenant. In the event of serious or repeated violations, you reserve the right to remove the pet from your property or terminate the tenancy.
If you are going to be a DIY OKC Property Manager – make sure you are covered when it comes to allowing pets in your home.