I have read articles that talk about how to maintain a healthy intimate relationship with your spouse but I have never read an article on how to maintain a healthy intimacy for your home. Since we are in the property management business and rental homes are our priority I thought I would promote intimacy ideas for a healthy homes. Here is Tip #2.
Make the most of dinnertime! Dinner time is proven to make a difference in your family. The journal of Adolescent Health in April of 2012 stated that “Kids and teens who share family dinners 3 or more times per week;
- Are less likely to be overweight
- Are more likely to eat healthy foods
- Perform better academically
- Are less likely to engage in risky behavior (drugs, alcohol, sexual activities)
- Have better relationships with their parents
And “More frequent family dinners are related to fewer emotional and behavioral problems, greater emotional well-being, more trusting and helpful behaviors towards others and higher life satisfaction.”
If these are the results from just having dinner what if we really made the most out of dinnertime. What great results could happen then? Here are a few suggestions.
- Involve your kids in helping plan and prepare the meal. Spending time with them in the kitchen will teach them great cooking skills, help them be involved in their eating habits, and create lasting memories.
- Take articles from the newspaper and ask your kids questions. Do you know what they think and feel about certain subjects? Are these teaching moments? What about great discussions on family values and beliefs?
- A fun one of our family is HIGHS and LOWS of the day. Everyone has to pick a HIGH of the day and a LOW of the day. This can provide insight on to what your kids think are HIGHS and LOWS.
- How about using this time to start an “I appreciate……” and try to tell someone at the table something you appreciate them.
I will say that something great always takes place when there is food and family. Try something new the next time your family sits for dinner and see the results!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.