Human Trafficking – The Responsibility of OKC Landlords and Property Managers
Human Trafficking is a growing problem in many cities and in fact, in the US. Other than Law Enforcement we all have the ability to help. Property owners – especially Landlords have a responsibility to stop human trafficking from being carried out inside their rental properties.
Human trafficking involves moving a person across borders for exploitation. Unlike people smuggling that involves moving people across international borders for a fee, human trafficking does not need an international border.
Human trafficking is illegal. Landlords or property owners who notice this criminal activity inside their rental properties should move swift to evict the perpetrators and report them to law enforcement.
In fact, some states like Oklahoma have passed jurisdictions that holds landlord criminally and civilly liable for allowing the use of their property for human trafficking or prostitution. Oklahoma landlords should therefore conduct a thorough background check on every potential tenant.
Human Trafficking – Responsibility of OKC Landlords and Property Managers – Tips to know
- The property unit has too many people living in it
- The rental unit garners unusual amount of traffic or visitors
- A tenant avoids eye contact or is unusually anxious after mentioning law enforcement
- A tenant does not have access to his/her own personal documents
- The tenant installs interior locks on doors on windows
- The occupants change on a regular basis
- If anti-social behavior complaints have been launched by other tenants
- Occupants appear fearful or show signs of being abused or being malnourished.
- Tenants or guests lacks knowledge of their whereabouts- human trafficking victims rarely leaves their residences, except when they are transported to new places.
If you suspect human trafficking on your home or the property you manage, contact law enforcement immediately. Do not attempt to rescue human trafficking victims by yourself. This is because human traffickers are violent and dangerous. Let law enforcement investigate the situation and prosecute offenders.
For more information on human trafficking contact the National Human Trafficking Network and put in your individual city for stats and details in your area.