Information on Mold Remediation
Mold can be a serious health hazard, and getting rid of mold in your property is something you ought to prioritize.
So how do you spot and remediate molds in your property?
Signs of Mold
The first thing you want to do is check if there are mold in your property. Of course mold spores are microscopic which means it’s can be a challenge detecting them. Focus on areas that are damp and moist and look for these signs such as dark-colored spots visible on porous, moisture-exposed surfaces and pungent and musty smell in your rental property. Additionally, if you have rental property, complaints by renters about allergy symptoms could also indicate your property has mold.
Other areas to inspect for molds include the basement, the attic, bathroom ceilings, the duct work of your HVAC and the dehumidifier.
To remediate or remove mold from your home, follow the steps below:
- Fix the water problem to prevent the moisture from spreading. Repair leaking pipes, seal cracks in the foundation and install a vent or dehumidifier.
- Seal the affected room from the rest of the property by closing windows and doors to the room. Cover all doorways to the affected room with sheeting to prevent the spread of mold.
- Moisten moldy materials and mist the contaminated area to prevent the spread of spores.
- Remove affected surfaces such as moldy carpets and wall papers. Next clean up any debris using a wet-dry vacuum cleaner. Don’t forget to wear gloves, a mask, and goggles to protect yourself.
- Remove all wet and moldy materials from the affected room and discard in a plastic bag. Then dispose of them as regular trash.
- For moldy non-porous surfaces and materials, scrub with a wire brush then wipe clean. Next, use a soft brush to scrub all surfaces with a mixture of water and bleach. Finish up by wiping the surfaces.
Lastly, replace the affected material such as carpets, curtains, baseboards, insulation, window sills and molding to rejuvenate the appeal of your property. For more information about mold testing, contact a reputable company that deals with mold removal.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.